Following the 2017 Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Mathematics Curriculum Framework, we seek to build simultaneously students' mathematical fluency, conceptual understanding, and ability to perform applied problem solving.
As students master mathematics content, they also engage in communication and reasoning as embodied in the Standards for Mathematical Practice:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
In grades K-5, our foundational curriculum is Everyday Mathematics 4 (EM4).